Course duration: 8 weeks with live pre-meeting workshop at ESTRO 38:
- Online programme to start on 20 March 2019
- Live session on 26 April 2019 and 2 lunch meetings
(see description of full programme below)
- Course directors: K. Benstead (UK), M. Giuliani (CA), S. Turner (AU)
- Course teachers: A. Cortese (BE), M.Leech (IE), B-A Millar (CA), L. Morris (AU)
This course, run for the first time in 2018, introduces foundation principles of effective leadership as they apply to senior trainees and junior practitioners in the radiation oncology professions. Feedback from the first fully subscribed course has been very positive. The course aims to equip participants with the knowledge, skills and attributes viewed as the building blocks for effective leadership. The course is directed at professionals interested in developing expertise in leading teams for quality improvement, advocacy and in all situations where they might positively influence the future of our discipline within both local and international settings. The course links to a specific radiation oncology competency knowledge and skill-set developed through Delphi consensus process. (dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2017.04.009).
Upon completion of the course, successful learners will be able to:
- Examine and reflect on their own behaviour, reactions and interactions with team members
- Describe basic leadership theory and styles as they might apply to practical situations
- Describe the foundations of effective change, management and negotiation
- Explore strategies to establish and lead effective teams
- Apply basic quality improvement tools to approach an improvement process.
Who should attend?
The target group consists of senior trainees or junior practitioners (approximately first five years after training) in the radiation oncology professions, including radiation or clinical oncologists, radiation physicists, radiation therapists/technologists, nurses and scientists.
This course consists of a blended learning programme of two months’ duration including on-line and face to face components. All sections of the programme will be highly interactive and will highlight their practical relevance to the workplace and facilitating improvements within our discipline. The on-line components will start around 20 March 2019 and consist of an introductory 90-minute tutorial with the participants and teachers followed by on-line exercises and compulsory electronic learning modules to be completed prior to the ESTRO 38 conference. Live sessions will take place during ESTRO 38 in Milan. Responses of participants to a follow-up survey will form the basis of the on-line tutorial a month after ESTRO 38. An on-line community network of participants will be established at the completion of the 2-month programme.
On-line and live course topics include:
- An introduction to leadership – what it means and why it is our responsibility
- Basics of leadership theory and styles - how to apply these
- Self-awareness, personality and emotional intelligence –how they link to leadership
- Leading and managing change
- Tools and strategies for leading quality improvement processes
- Team building and engagement – including basics ofnegotiation
- Creating and communicating a vision for change.
Click here to see the programme.
Please send your statement of interest & motivation letter to email@example.com by the 15 February 2019 in the form of an open letter (maximum 2 A4 pages in length) with the following information:
- Name and gender
- Profession and year of training or year of independent practice (post- qualification)
- Location of workplace: department/organisation and country
- Interest and motivation in wishing to attend the course, which may address some/all the following:
- Previous experiences in which leadership (self or others) was or was not displayed
- Areas where the applicant feels they particularly need or wish to develop relevant skills and knowledge
- Leadership goals – short and long-term
- Other reasons for strong interest in course
- Demonstration of commitment to engage in all aspects of the course
- Evidence that course learning will likely lead to a change in behaviour or involvement in activities as a result of participation
You will be contacted regarding the outcome of your application.
ESTRO members can order products at substantially reduced prices. To benefit from these member rates, please visit the membership page to become a member or renew your membership BEFORE proceeding with your order.